Entry-Level Position Available
Title: Project Engineer Intern
Reports to: Project Manager/Project Engineer
Summary of Position: As a key team member, the Project Engineer Intern is responsible for working with their Project Team(s) to plan and coordinate the successful execution of required project documentation, as well as assist the Project Manager and Project Engineer to ensure that the quality, schedule and cost expectations of the project are achieved. The Project Engineer Intern will work with Architects, Consultants, Subcontractors, Clients, and Inspectors to resolve issues in a timely manner and in consideration of the interests of all concerned parties.
Project Preparation and Set-up
- Review project drawings and specifications to learn all the components of the project/s you’re working on
- Collaborate with the Project Manager and Superintendent to conduct a review of project SWPPP requirements, permitting needs, and site logistics
- Collaborate with Project Team to prepare and distribute bid packages, maintain on-going communication with potential bidders and Project Team regarding bid status, and track and communicate bid results to bidders and the Project Team
- Collaborate with Project Team to calendar and prepare Agenda and reference documents for Subcontractor Pre-Bid Meetings & Job site visits
- Coordinate with the Project Assistant to order and distribute construction documents
- Create Visitor Sign-In Logs, Safety Orientation Binders, and coordinate with Superintendent & Safety Team to complete the Site Safety Binder for your projects
- Conduct Safety Orientations for all on-coming Subcontractor employees, maintain tracking log of participants, and issue dated stickers of completion for hard hats
- Work with Project Assistant to create files and binders as needed to store project records
- Create Submittal Register from project specifications and drawings
- Coordinate with Project Assistant to ensure receipt of executed Subcontract Agreements, required Certificates of Insurance, Payment & Performance Bonds, Certified Payroll, and Safety documentation as needed. Review tracking records of such documents at Team Meetings
- Coordinate with Project Assistant to ensure the distribution of required project information, such as pre-lien information, project directories, memos, and other forms of communications
- Collaborate with Project Manager and Project Engineer to issue, process, and distribute Potential Change Orders, Subcontract Change Orders and Prime Contract Change Orders as requested
- Review all incoming Requests for Information (RFIs) against Construction Documents and issue or answer accordingly
- Conduct a thorough review of all incoming Subcontractor submittals against the Construction Documents. Work with Subcontractors, if corrections are needed, and issue to Architect for review
- Create submittals for Blach self-perform work as required. To ensure Blach’s schedule is met, oversee approval process of submittals and coordinate with project Superintendent to track and prioritize submittals based on product lead time
- Coordinate with Project Assistant to create and compile various reports and information as needed for project meetings
- Take meeting minutes, process in CMiC, and distribute as required
- Take photos of the project’s progression through the life of the project and archive electronically
- Work with Project Assistant to manage and order supplies (snacks, office supplies, safety orientation stickers, etc.) as required
- Work with Project Assistant to ensure appropriate archiving of project records
- Keep as-built record drawings and update with applicable RFI responses and ASI/IBs issued by the Architect
- Work with Blach’s Field Teams to resolve issues and address schedule concerns. Walk the site regularly and work with our project Superintendent to familiarize yourself with the coordination and progress of the trades
- Provide on-going support for Subcontractors, Architect, and Inspectors as needed
- Greet and assist all visitors to the site to ensure Blach visitor and safety policies are met
- Perform related work as apparent or assigned by the Project Manager or Project Engineer
- Create close out register from project specifications & drawings
- Coordinate with Project Assistant to complete close-out of projects by collecting all required close-out documents, creating binders and electronic records of close-out documents in preparation of turning them over to the Client
- File appropriate documentation to complete project close-out with DSA & SWPPP as requested
- Enter substantial completion dates in CMiC to prompt electronic issuances of Subcontractor surveys
- Bachelor’s degree in-progress
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Office)
- Exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills
- Extreme attention to detail, highly organized
- Proactive, takes initiative on all projects, possesses a willingness to learn and develop in their professional career
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Problem solver, solutions-oriented, creative
Position Status: Summer intern, regular business hours (40 hours a week), non-exempt
Compensation: Blach Construction offers an outstanding compensation package, including a highly competitive base salary, an initial three weeks of paid vacation (growing to four weeks after five years of service), holidays, and sick leave. Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage, 401(k) plan with company match, profit-sharing, long-term disability insurance, cash bonuses based upon performance, professional development and education assistance, credit union membership, athletic club subsidy, professional affiliations and many other benefits. The company practices a progressive management style that truly values and appreciates high-quality team members and invests a tremendous amount in their growth and development.
About Blach Construction: Come work for the 2019 #1 Best Place to Work in the California Bay Area! Blach has been named a “Best Place to Work in the Bay Area” by the Silicon Valley Business Journal and San Francisco Business Times since 2009 and one of the Top 100 Best Companies to work for in the United States in 2013 and 2016. Blach Construction is a financially stable, award-winning, mid-sized general building contractor and construction manager headquartered in San Jose with operations throughout the greater California Bay Area and the Central Coast region.
Blach offers an outstanding benefits package, which you can read about on the company website, as well as an extensive training and development program for all employees through our own Blach University. The management of the company is dedicated to maintaining a stimulating and exciting work environment where teamwork and excellence are both encouraged and supported. For more information, check out the company’s website at www.blach.com.
Contact: If you fit the above description and are looking for an exciting place to kickstart a fulfilling and challenging career, email your resume with a cover letter to email@example.com.
Blach Construction is an Equal Opportunity Employer.